A professional artist meets at least three of the following criteria:
- Appropriate specialized training in the artistic field at a school, institution, organization and/or with a Master Artist.
- Identifies as a professional and is recognized as such by peers (engagers, galleries, experts, critics, and/or artists working in the same artistic tradition).
- Seeks compensation for the artistic work, including receipt of grants from relevant public and private arts funding agencies.
- Has a history of presenting work to the public by means of exhibitions, publications, performances, readings, screenings, or by other appropriate means.
- Membership in a relevant professional association of artists (such as TWUC, ACTRA, CAEA, CFM, CARFAC, etc).